So the night before they left, they came up to stay with us. Finally, for this European trip, they decided after much insisting from us, that they would fly out of Dulles. Hello - we live very close to it, it's a major international airport, and they can just go straight over the ocean from here. Plus, I can take them to the airport and keep the pup. For the last several international trips they've taken, they've flown out of Richmond. This always requires a trip through JFK or Atlanta, and each time has resulted in some sort of mess. Either their RIC to JFK flight was delayed, canceled, or something along those lines, and they've missed their connection. Sometimes they're still in Richmond for the night, sometimes they're stuck in New York for the night....it's just been a mess. So, finally. They flew out of Dulles!
Anyway. That's not the point of this post.
The night before they left, I decided we'd stay in and I'd make dinner rather than going out. Since they had 7 straight days of eating meals out ahead of them, I thought a nice dinner at home would be good. Once I dug through all of my recipes, eliminating all of the Italian ones for obvious reasons, I settled on shrimp and grits.
And boy was it good!
Saute the mushrooms in the leftover bacon grease...
Coat the fresh shrimp in flour before you cook them so they have a little crisp.
And serve over a heaping bowl of cheesy cheddar grits with aforementioned bacon, mushrooms, and green onions.
I found this recipe in Southern Living a few years ago - it's from the Hominy Grill in Charleston. I figure they know how to make a mean shrimp and grits. I've made this several times, and it's been so good each time. I served roasted asparagus with it, and they went well together. Plus, you usually end up with leftover grits which are delicious rewarmed for breakfasts! See the recipe below and give it a try! It's great for entertaining too because it's fairly easy and you can prep most of it ahead of time.
YIELD: Makes 6 servings
- 2 pounds unpeeled, medium-size raw shrimp (31/40 count)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 bacon slices, chopped
- 1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Creamy Cheddar Cheese Grits
Preparation1. Peel shrimp; devein, if desired. Toss shrimp with flour until lightly coated, shaking to remove excess.
2. Cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet.
3. Sauté mushrooms in hot drippings 4 minutes or just until mushrooms begin to release their liquid. Add shrimp, and sauté 3 to 3 1/2 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute (do not brown garlic). Add lemon juice and next 3 ingredients; serve immediately over Creamy Cheddar Cheese Grits. Sprinkle with bacon.