Thursday, December 9, 2010

Modern Technology


Last night I made an amazing discovery.  While sitting on the couch with husband and puppy, just playing on the internet, I decided to say hi to my very best friend Lola in Florida on g-chat.  So I clicked on her name, the window popped up, and I noticed something.  There was a little green video camera next to her name.  And next to mine....hmmm...so I clicked on it and up she popped on my screen!!  Sitting at her dining table, just being her beautiful self!  So we chatted, and watched, and waved to husbands and laughed and talked so much and so quickly we were talking over each other - the way best friends do.  We are pretty good at keeping in touch across the 1,048 miles that separate us - we email, send photos, make fun of people on Facebook, call when babies/husbands/dogs/in-laws/life isn't in the way, and visit once a year.  But this.  This is a whole new world to me.  This makes those 1,048 miles seem not quite as intimidating.  This makes that adorable 20 mo old that she has seem so much closer.  This will make her not go from 4 months to 18 between me getting to see her! 


I know I'm a little behind the curve on this technology, with the Skype craze and the iPhone video capabilities and all.  But it's new to me, and I love it.  As I joked with her last night, I can see us attaching our laptops to our hips and video-g-chatting all the time!  What are you making for dinner?  See, doesn't it look good!  What are you drinking tonight, cheers!  What does the new house look like (she's in the process of building one)?  Now I understand what all the hype is about.  And I couldn't be happier to have finally joined the crowds.


We also joked that I should write my next blog post about how cool she is and how much I love her.  Little did she know I would actually do it!  We met in the halls of Alamance at Elon during spring orientation.  Through some convincing (of both the housing people on campus and L herself) we began our college career as suitemates, living in an all girl dorm on the south side of campus.  The days, weeks, months and years we spent together at Elon were some of the most memorable times of our lives.  We were suitemates, roommates, classmates, friends, and became the best of friends.  And honestly, I might even say we've become closer over the years since Elon.  I am truly blessed to have met LMPT that chilly rainy day in April, 2000 - I can't imagine my life without her!!




And now, using this amazing modern technology, I can video-chat with her :)

What will they think of next?! (or better yet, what else is out there that I'm missing out on??)



1 comment:

  1. Just discovered your blog! I hope you keep up with it :)

    ReplyDelete