Sunday, January 30, 2011

In memory

It's been a tough week.  On Tuesday, I received word that a very close friend of mine lost her mother.  Nancy had been fighting Ovarian cancer for the better part of 9 years, and lost that battle very early Tuesday morning.  In attempt to find the light in this sad story, here are a few things to think about.  Her husband and children were around here, in her home, when it was time.  The family has had time over the last year to prepare themselves, and to say everything they felt that they needed to.  And finally, Nancy is no longer in pain or suffering, which she has been for months. 

The service is tomorrow, and while I would love to be there for my friend, the timing and cost is going to keep me here in DC.  I have been thinking of her and her family constantly this week.  I can only imagine what she is going through, especially having to make the plans and help take care of her family.

Life is so precious.  And fragile.  I can't help but think about my parents, and how close we are.  I am not ready to go through any of what my friend is going through.  I have been amazed by her every day over the last 2 years that I've known her.  She has handled this whole situation with strength, poise, and has been incredibly brave.  There have been so many times over the last 2 years when I've just thought about Nancy and gotten teary, or thought about my mom and what if...and just sat and cried - at work, in the car while running errands, or just sitting at home.  I hope I have been able to be a sounding board, or provided some comfort and friendship to Amy during this difficult time...it's the only thing I know to do...

Remember to do what you love and love what you do, enjoy the small things and quiet moments, and hug your friends and family.  Enjoy the time you have with your loved ones, for it doesn't last forever.

The family has asked for donations rather than flowers...if you're interested, I've included the website below.  Please keep the family in your thoughts this week, and tell your friends and family that you love them.

http://NancyBlyler.kintera.org/

I love you, Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment