Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy New Year!

I know it soundcliché to say how fast time goes, but my goodness does it ever!  I can't believe we're sitting on this side of the holidays, and it's two thousand and twelve.  I still feel like it's barely 2007!

We had a great weekend ringing in the new year!  One of husband's favorite bands, the Drive By Truckers, was in town for 3 nights at the 9:30 Club.  Since we weren't too keen on being out and messing with driving around on NYE, we opted to go on Friday.  One of our best friends and his girlfriend joined us.  We ventured to Meridian Pint in Columbia Heights first.

source
It's one of our favorites, but sometimes can be tricky to get up there.  It's a great spot when you're going to a show at the 9:30 Club.  It's a big beer bar, which is perfect for the boys.  (They were very excited to see so many DC Brau beers on the menu!)  We shared a bunch of delicious appetizers and had a few beers before heading over to the concert.


I have to admit that the Truckers aren't my favorite, and not exactly my style of music, but I've now been taken to so many shows, I've learned to love like their music!  The 9:30 Club is a great small venue, one of my favorites, and we always have a good time when we go.  I was excited to try out my new pocket-sized camera that I got from hubby for Christmas!



Saturday we were all a little slow to get moving, apparently we had a little too much fun at the concert.  But we got up and moving, getting the house ready for our little get together for NYE.  Tom and Ashley came over again, as did another friend of mine Craig.  We had a great evening - yummy appetizers and 3 cheese sausage lasagna for dinner.  Craig brought a couple bottles of wine, including a bottle of VA wine from Linden, their 08 Hardscrabble.  Linden is one of my absolute favorites!  

At midnight, we all toasted the new year with some bubbly, and were quite proud of ourselves for staying up so late!  

Self timer attempt at a group photo...
Sunday morning, New Year's Day, we headed next door to visit with the neighbors and have some delicious brunch.  Egg and sausage fritatta, sausage balls, Nutella sandwiches and fresh fruit was on the menu.  It was so nice to have brunch at our friends' house, talk about how great 2011 was and look forward to what all 2012 has in store for us.  That evening I made Black Eyed Pea stew with pork and collards - all things to bring us good luck and prosperity in the new year.  We'll take all the help we can get! 


It was a fantastic way to ring in the new year, with good friends.  We are so lucky here in northern VA so have so many special people close to us.  I wouldn't have wanted to celebrate the start of 2012 any other way!

Happy New Year to you and your families!  May it be the best yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment